Confessed Norwegian mass murdered Anders Behring Breivik has written a lengthy document blasting the psychiatrists who deemed him to be insane. The 33-year-old right-wing extremist, who killed 77 people in dual terror attacks in Norway on July 22 last year, believes Synne Sørheim and Torgeir Husby were under political pressure to declare him insane.
Geir Lippestad, Breivik’s defence lawyer, said his client believes 80 percent of the psychiatrists’ conclusions are based on things he never said. Lippestad described Breivik’s document as “comprehensive” but refused to go into further detail about its contents.
Breivik insists he is sane, even though such a ruling would likely result in a long prison sentence rather that psychiatric care.
According to Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK), the killer is trying to send the document to media outlets. “We have read his report and offered our advice,” Lippestad told NRK. “He has a right to send it out, but we have no overview of where he’s sending it.”
It is expected that Breivik will read from the document when he testifies at his trial later this month. Lippestad claims his client will also talk about his own ideology and why he committed the crimes.
The Norwegian set a bomb outside government offices on July 22, 2011, before going on an hour-long shooting spree at a ruling party youth camp. In total, 77 people, mainly teenagers, were killed in what was Norway’s worst attacks since WWII.