Confessed Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik has claimed he is normally a nice person but that he put himself through a programme of “dehumanisation” in order to carry out the double terror attacks on July 22 last year.
The 33-year-old right-wing extremist said he began preparing for the attacks in 2006 by removing himself from society and playing violent video games for up to 16 hours a day.
In day five of his Oslo trial, Breivik chilled onlookers with his unemotional description of events, again claiming that he set a car bomb at government offices and went on a shooting spree on Utoeya Island to save Norway from multiculturalism. He claimed that his mainly-teenage victims were legitimate targets and that he would carry out the attacks again, only with the hope of killing more.
Breivik said his matter-of-fact attitude towards the killings are “a protection mechanism”, similar to those used by soldiers who are told to kill the Taliban. “Under normal circumstances I am a very nice person,” he added.
“The same goes for me. I have had a dehumanisation strategy towards those that I consider to be a legitimate target. If I had not used this I would not have been able to do this,” he said.
When asked if he feels any regret at all about the 77 lives he took, he replied that he did, claiming he was sad on the day of the funeral of a friend’s brother. “I believe I had fairly normal emotional patterns before 2006 when I embarked on this training,” he added, claiming he was “very sociable”.