IceNews welcomes reader comments on almost all our news articles. If you have a comment, a question, some new information, or simply disagree with what you read, you are invited to leave a comment below nearly all stories.
IceNews runs a moderated comment board. This means that all comments are read and approved (or deleted) manually by our editorial team. Please bear the following points in mind in order to ensure your comment is not deleted:
- Be polite. Some of our news articles take on a life of their own, with commenters engaging in long and in-depth exchanges of views and opinions, sometimes over many months. Disagreeing is fine; but personal attacks are out. No IceNews reader can be described as an idiot!
- Write in English. This goes without saying; but if we cannot understand your comment, we cannot moderate it. Comments written mostly in English and partly in another language are approved at the editor’s discretion according to relevancy and context. To be safe, just write in English!
- Use nice words. Comments containing offensive words or phrases are usually deleted. The editorial team only takes the time to censor swearwords if the comment is particularly relevant or makes and important point. Again, to be safe, just keep the language clean!
- Be accepting of others. Comments which are overtly racist, sexist, homophobic or discriminatory on grounds of religion or disability will be deleted. However, commenting on national traits or ideologies, discussing the role of women in business or the role of religion in modern society are all examples of valid points of discussion. If you find your comment on one of these sensitive issues has not been approved within 24 hours, try rephrasing it and submitting it again.
- Be concise. We want IceNews to be interesting. To this end, comments which are excessively long, repetitive or unclear in meaning, grammar or spelling will be deleted. So try to say what you want to as quickly, clearly and eloquently as possible.
- Be yourself. We would ask that you scan previous comments and choose an original name for yourself. This is not yet a requirement, but everyone benefits if there are not two or more people commenting under the same name. Why make life more confusing than it already is?
- The exception that proves the rule. Occasionally IceNews publishes promotional articles for a varied selection of companies offering goods and services relevant to the IceNews audience. They are easy to spot and are intended to be entertaining and informative. Comments on these articles are, however, strictly moderated and only positive comments are usually approved.
If you have any other suggestions for how we can improve these guidelines (or anything else about IceNews for that matter), please drop us an email: newsicenews.is